Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a better update

so lets start with yesterday since I havent written much lately...

It started in honest when I headed out for my tour to Phillip Island. We started our tour with a stop at an animal conservatory where we were able to feed wallabies and kangaroos :) We also saw tassie devils, kookaburras, and an emu. From there we went to Churchill Island where they have an old homestead with sheep shearing, working horses, and beautiful flowers. There were even cows, like big steers...I'd be happy to have their life...ok maybe not the end. From there we went out to the koala park. We saw probably half a dozen koalas hanging out in the trees, but not as close as the ones I saw along the great ocean road.

Our next stop was for a dip in the ocean...ok just the toes because the current at Anzacs beach is quite incredible. Throughout this adventure I hung out with (and trading pictures with) a girl from Holland which was delightful. I hope that maybe one day I will be able to go visit all my new friends in their home countries, that would make for quite another adventure.

Finally, after dinner, as the sun was starting to set we headed out to the Nobbies where the penguins come up in the evenings to find their home hole for the night. Since no one is allowed to take photos at the penguin parade (you can blind them with your flash) we found a few hiding under the boardwalks to take careful photos of. Oh and the sun setting over the Nobbies was absolutely amazing. Then it was finally finally time to go see the 'Little Penguins' (formally known as Fairy Penguins) in their nightly parade to land. It seemed a bit touristy, but we stay out of their way and simply watch them...its quite amazing. They'll huddle together as they come ashore then take their well worn paths home. They have to take pause quite often so that they don't overheat on the way and they'll also preen each other and clean up for their homecoming.

Then it was just a long bus ride home.

Other things, I've done lately...on Monday I took a trip down the Great Ocean road...a day of beautiful vistas and great beaches ending with sunset at the 12 apostles (actually 11 since one fell a few years back). It was great to dip my toes in the ocean and to lay out and enjoy the sunshine when there was time. Along the way we stopped to see koalas in the wild (and soooo close, but don't touch or they could get very angry!) and we also made a stop in the rain forest. Its amazing how diverse the terrain can be here :) below is me and the koala followed by the sunset view :)


Now I am on my way to Tasmania where I am going to tour the island with two of the women from Israel that I met on my tours in Melbourne :)

2 comments:

  1. We are loving your updates! What an amazing experience so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous.... I

    t was nice to take a little time and read through your updates this morning.

    I'm glad that you finally made it safely to OZ and that you are having a wonderful time. Wish I could join you for the adventure...

    ReplyDelete