Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Zealand!

Holy Poo! I'm in New Zealand :) I had to go through customs and everything. It's strange how used to Australia I was and now a new country....

Anyways, I'm in Christchurch on the South Island and about to start my adventure around the island. Christchurch is a beautiful city with an amazing cathedral in the center and a beautiful park to the west. I arrived late Saturday night and Sunday I took most of my day to explore their weekend market and the Art Center along with the Botanic Gardens. While the market can't compare with the ones in Seattle, the Art Center had a lot to offer in the form of galleries to browse and even a piano concert. It was quite a cool day so it was nice to just relax and enjoy the city. The Art Gallery was also on my agenda and it was really nice. There was an exhibit of a New Zealand artist who did a trip through Italy painting water colors of the architecture and it reminded me of all the great things that Josh and I saw on our trip years ago. Then there was an exhibit called Blue Planet, it was all blue pieces with a focus on environment and teaching children about the planet...very fun!

Today, I must admit, I started with a run followed by the Purdue game at Holy Grail (a HUGE sports bar here) where I almost had a heart attack while cheering on my Boilermakers to their overtime win! I followed that up with a visit to the Canterbury Museum which is a history & culture museum for the region. It had beautiful Maori artifacts as well as interesting bits from throughout history. There was also an exhibit on the Antarctic since this is where many people stop on their way down to the outposts there. In fact, while I was in Australia I met a number of Americans on their way home from the Antarctic! I went back to the gardens since my camera died and I wanted to grab a few more pictures, especially of the Begonia display...they were amazing and HUGE! The rose garden and darhlias were also some of my favorites. I could smell the roses for hours :) There's so much to see and enjoy there, I highly recommend it for anyone who comes this way. I then proceeded to wander around the city shopping and browsing to end my afternoon.
Me with the pretty begonias :)

Tomorrow I start making my way around the island going north to Kaikoura on the west coast then continuing to Nelson on the north coast.

Hugs & Kisses to all!

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you. I am impressed that you were able to see the Purdue game. To win in overtime is just a good a win as any. Mom and I loved our visit to New Zealand so I know you will enjoy it too. Say Hi to the Smith's when you see them
    Love Ya,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were glad to get the e-mail from you and now to get what you wrote on your Blog after you got to Christchurch. Sounds like a lot of fun. Years ago I talked to a Ham Radio Operator several times.
    Grandma and I watched the Purdue game too. We were excited about them winning. That's a great picture of you and the begonies.
    Love, Grandpa & Grandma

    ReplyDelete