Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Brisbane fun

Hey y'all!

So while it hasn't been super crazy, I have had an excellent time here in Brisbane. I have been hanging out with my sorority sister and relaxing at her apartment.

Yesterday I got some sun at Streets Beach, did some shopping at Queen Street Mall and even went to the cruise ship terminal (happens to be close to where I'm staying). Seeing the Dawn Princess (Princess Cruiselines) reminded me of when Nicole and I would keep track of the ships coming in and out of Seattle from our apartment. Last night, Maggie & I went to see Precious with a friend of hers, wow what a movie...I understand why it was nominated for so many awards.

Today I visited the XXXX Brewery (yep 4 Xs not 3 like at Purdue) for a tour, but I was late so I just sampled the beer (best part anyways, right :) ). Then I made my way back to the South Bank to visit the Gallery of Modern Art. Right now the exhibition is focused on Asian art and it was amazing! There were some amazing Buddahs that were decorated with stickers, remember the puffy ones we used to play with when we were young, and you could add one to it, so fun! There was also an installation that had mushrooms of all shapes and sizes, but when you looked closer the artist had so carefully drawn Chinese characters all of each mushrooms! Another favorite was a drawing of Buddah standing but it was actually only standing out from a background of Chinese characters. There were too many other great pieces to write about here... And then I went to the Queensland Art Museum to find more classic forms of art, and some not so classic. An amazing dresser handcrafted from Australian woods with fantastic geometric patterns was one of my favorites. Oh, and in the same complex (Cultural Center) was their state library and while I didn't go in, I was fascinated by the bookshop inside and found some great titles including This is Not a Book, Can Kissing Make You Live Longer (man, I hope it can!) and The Art of Travel (now why didn't I come up with that).

Tomorrow I am heading to the Whitsunday Islands to take a three day, three night sailing trip to part of the Great Barrier Reef. I can't wait to tell you all about that!

Hugs & Kisses!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good visit with your sorority sister and a well needed rest. I look forward to the sailing and scuba diving. It will be especially great if you are able to get some underwater pictures.
    We are getting some strong spring storms. There apparently were tornatoes that touched down. None very close to us.
    love ya,
    DAd

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT was good to hear from you again and it still sounds like you are still having fun and enjoying your travels. We are looking forward to hearing about your trip to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Berrier Reef.
    LOVE, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete