Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kayaks on Milford Sound

So I took a trip to the highly recommended Milford Sound and LOVED it. Although I must say, I took a basic tour bus there and our driver DID NOT stop talking for the entire four hour trip! It was impressive/annoying. I mean while it was interesting to learn about the history of deer and elk farming in New Zealand, I can't say I needed to know about that one school in Five Mile Creek that is no longer a school and so far off the road that I couldn't see it. But nonetheless, it was a beautiful trip through the mountains especially after going through Hobart Tunnel that starts at 970 meters and goes down to 790, oh and its one way. We stopped at a place called the Chasm and it was a huge waterfall that had eaten through the rocks, quite spectacular how water can make its way through rock like that. The day we arrived was less than spectacular however, lots of clouds but at least no rain. Instead of taking the boat cruise I went off towards the Milford Sound Lodge just down the water.

I checked in to a lovely dorm room there and I must say they're other rooms looked spectacular as well with windows facing the river. I was going to eat lunch enjoying that view but the sandflys kept eating me so lunch was taken inside instead. Then I headed to see what tramping could be done in the area since I only had the end of my book to read and wanted to save some for the long drive back to Queenstown. There unfortunately aren't many tramps there that aren't completely rain forest and muddy. But I did find a few short walks to take around the water and up a hill to a lookout (not much more to be seen than from the ground unfortunately). I also checked out a short trail at the lodge that has glow worms (couldn't see them in the light, but it was something to do). I also at some point decided that maybe I should write a novel (short story perhaps?) based on my adventures here....thoughts? Not sure how great of a novelist I'll make but it sounds like fun. I even wrote a couple of chapters.

Then came the big morning...Kayaking in the Sound. The night cleared up and allowed for great star viewing and glow worm viewing and it stayed clear for us in the morning. We were picked up by the crew at Rosco's and taken to our launch point where they outfitted us in the utmost of style....stripey polypro long underwear, fleece, water skirts and life vests. I paired up with a great gal from London for our adventure, and it was definitely great to have two of us paddling out on the windy waters. We went out in two groups of four kayaks and one guide. We worked hard and got fairly wet from spray off the water and off our paddles, but we had a great time. My partner and I joked about being too strong and too beautiful beacuase we were constantly being asked by our guide to slow down and wait for the others in our group. We had great views of Mitre Peak (quite famous and in all the pictures) and all the other mountains around the sound. The final stop was next two a waterfall three times the height of Niagra, but with less water. It was a great day to be on the water and a great way to see the Sound. And a great day to think about my wonderful dad and think positive thoughts for his birthday! (Happy Birthday Daddy!!)

Me in my kayaking loveliness with Mitre Peak in the back left.

The trip back to Queenstown was lovely as the sun set, but rather uneventful over all. I did finish my most recent book, Yes Man, now a movie with Jim Carrey. I would definitely recommend it to everyone, it was a fabulous read :) For dinner I had Hell's Pizza, supposidly one of the best in Queenstown and I did quite enjoy it! It was a creation all my own which probably made it even better.

Today I started with a long run (which my knee wasn't quite up for apparently) but was still refreshing nonetheless. Then I finally went to Fergburger, famous burger joint for a 25 minute wait chicken burger. I got the Bombay Chicken burger...but enjoyed talking with the greeter more than eating the $12 burger. Anyways, I heard at the hostel that Burger Fuel on the North Island is even better.

Tomorrow I head up to Christchurch and then up the coast before crossing to the North Island.

1 comment:

  1. Marie,
    I with you about the bus driver talking the whole trip. The Kayaking sounded great. Oh and thsnks for thinking of me on my birthday and putting it in this blog. I especially thank you for the call on my birthday. My birthday trip was really great too. St. Lucia is somewhere you would enjoy too.

    We are back and I had a staff meeting here at the ouse to dicuss ways to fix our complex study process. the staff had some very good ideas and enjoyed the day away from the office and the Whole Hog Bar-b-que.Can't wait for your next installment. A novelist sounds cool.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete